Freelance Class Leader
The Point, Eastleigh are looking for an experienced and personable freelance dance practitioner to lead Retrospectif, our over 50s contemporary dance group, during a period of maternity cover.
Retrospectif sessions focus on learning contemporary technique as well as experimenting with the dancers’ own creativity. Attenders have a variety of experience levels and a real sense of community. The group often work towards performance opportunities, or with external companies on their projects.
Classes run on Tuesday afternoons during term time. Currently these run online from 1.30-2.30pm, but there may be scope for these sessions to return to The Point in a longer format in the future, if lockdown restrictions allow.
Fees: £32 per hour session (inclusive of planning and delivery)
Start date: Tuesday 20 April 2021
End date: January 2022, tbc.
A minimum of two weeks’ notice will be given before your final class
- Experience of leading contemporary dance activities
- Experience of leading participants with various levels of dance ability
- Registered Self Employed
- Holds own PLI
- DBS check
- Ability to travel to Eastleigh for classes in the case that activities can be reinstated in person
- Able to use Zoom and its functions
- Experience of teaching online as well as in person
- Experience working with older adults
- Experience complementing dance aims with wellbeing aims
- Planning inventive, challenging and expressive sessions for Retrospectif that include both contemporary technique and creative tasks
- Being mindful of the experience and ability levels of participants, adapting movements when necessary
- Arriving to classes promptly and prepared
- Adhering to any necessary social distancing and safety measures when using The Point venue
- Working with Creative Projects Producer to discuss class projects and respond to any feedback
- Engaging in venue wide themes or opportunities to enable your class to be part of the wider community
- Adhering to Eastleigh Borough Council safeguarding, GDPR and health and safety policies/ procedures at all times
How to apply:
Please send a CV, a short cover letter outlining how your skills and experience are relevant to the role, and links to any relevant work to email@example.com
Deadline for applications: 5pm, Tuesday 16 March 2021
Interview/short taster session with the class (via Zoom): Tuesday 30 March 2021
We encourage applications from groups who are underrepresented in the cultural sector, including people of various cultural backgrounds, trans, non-binary or gender nonconforming individuals, and persons who have a disability. We have been assessed as a Disability Confident Workplace.
We are committed to equal opportunity, regardless of age, disability, gender identity or gender expression, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation or any other equality characteristic.
The Point opened in 1996, with its state-of-the-art Creation Space opening in 2009. Owned and managed by Eastleigh Borough Council, The Point became one of Arts Council England’s National Portfolio Organisations in April 2015. Our Vision is to Move You – with everything we do focused on moving our audiences, participants and community, either emotionally, physically or both.
As an organisation, we place our audiences at the heart of everything we do, enriching lives through inspirational experiences. A regional powerhouse for contemporary performance, we present bold, innovative and inspirational new work. Engaging thousands of participants each year, we teach skills, raise aspirations and inspire the next generation, developing Eastleigh as a creative community.
Through creative residencies in our world-class Creation Space and through our trail-blazing Associate Artist programme, we support artists to develop new work and reach new audiences.