Freelance Youth Theatre Leaders
We are looking for experienced and innovative Youth Theatre leaders to take on companies at both our venues, The Point and The Berry Theatre.
Our Youth Theatre Companies are for young people aged between 8 – 21 and seek to make work which is relevant to the young people and their communities; maximising creativity and developing exciting and flexible performances which may take place in venues, outdoors or in the wider community.
The Youth Theatre vision is:
- To provide the widest mix of theatre skills for young people
- To ensure the participants opinions and ideas are at the heart of the work
- To plan each year with a broad spectrum of opportunities for participants, that connect with the wider Eastleigh Borough community as much as possible
- To think about progression routes within small scale theatre practice – empowering attenders to be responsible for their productions; involved in the making, costuming and technical as much as possible as they move through the groups
Youth Theatre Companies run on Wednesdays and Thursdays, dependant on the age group. The oldest company – Point Ensemble – are a mixture of regular weekly sessions and intensive projects.
Fees: £32 per hour (inclusive of planning and delivery)
Start date: Opportunities available from Sept 2021
- Experience of leading youth theatre
- Experience of leading participants with various levels of ability
- Creative flare
- The ability to problem solve
- Registered Self Employed
- Holds own PLI
- DBS check
- Ability to travel to Eastleigh (please note, there is no parking at the venue but there are car parks nearby)
- Able to use Zoom and its functions (in case of future lockdowns/ blended projects)
- Experience of small-scale theatre
- Experience of outdoor theatre
- Experience of devising at a professional level
- Experience and interest in wider art forms eg. circus, dance, visual arts, video
- Experience complementing theatre with community engagement
- Planning inventive, challenging and expressive sessions for young people, balancing technique, fun and creative tasks
- Tailoring to the experience and ability levels of participants
- Work with the Creative Young People’s Producer to discuss upcoming projects and respond to any feedback
- Be proactive about identifying any CPD needs to respond to the brief (eg. practitioner physical theatre training to support an upcoming project)
- Engage in venue wide themes or opportunities to enable attenders to access a wide range of experiences
- Arriving to sessions promptly and prepared
- Consider young people’s wellbeing in the planning and delivery of all activity
- Adhering to Eastleigh Borough Council safeguarding, GDPR and health and safety policies/ procedures at all times
How to apply:
Please send a CV, a short cover letter outlining how your skills and experience are relevant to the role, and links to any relevant work to email@example.com
Deadline for applications: Wednesday 4th August 5pm
Interview (via Zoom): Monday 9th and Tuesday 10th August
We encourage applications from groups who are underrepresented in the cultural sector, including people of various cultural backgrounds, trans, non-binary or gender nonconforming individuals, and persons who have a disability. We have been assessed as a Disability Confident Workplace.
We are committed to equal opportunity, regardless of age, disability, gender identity or gender expression, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation or any other equality characteristic.
The Point opened in 1996, with its state-of-the-art Creation Space opening in 2009. Owned and managed by Eastleigh Borough Council, The Point became one of Arts Council England’s National Portfolio Organisations in April 2015. Our Vision is to Move You – with everything we do focused on moving our audiences, participants and community, either emotionally, physically or both.
As an organisation, we place our audiences at the heart of everything we do, enriching lives through inspirational experiences. A regional powerhouse for contemporary performance, we present bold, innovative and inspirational new work. Engaging thousands of participants each year, we teach skills, raise aspirations and inspire the next generation, developing Eastleigh as a creative community.
Through creative residencies in our world-class Creation Space and through our trail-blazing Associate Artist programme, we support artists to develop new work and reach new audiences.