Recite Me - Web Accessibility and Language Toolbar
We want everything we do to be as inclusive as possible - this includes how people access the content here on our website.
The Recite Me toolbar helps the one in five people in the UK who have a disability, including those with common conditions like sight loss and dyslexia, to access our website in the way that suits them best. It also meets the needs of the one in ten people in the UK who don't speak English as their first language, by being able to translate our web content into over 100 different languages.
For more information visit the Recite Me website. Below is our quick guide to using Recite Me on our website.
How do I access the Recite Me toolbar?
You can open the Recite Me toolbar by clicking on the pink Accessibility Tools button. This button now appears on the right-hand side of every page of our website.
After you click on the Accessibility Tools button the Recite Me toolbar opens and displays a range of different options for customising how the website looks and how you can access the content.
Our screen reader helps people who are visually impaired or neuro-divergent to perceive and understand our website content.
Key features include:
- All content read aloud in a natural voice
- 35 different language options
- Speed controls and word-by-word highlighting for total customisation
- The Recite Me toolbar allows you to highlight any text and create an MP3 file, which downloads automatically to your computer. Audio is created in a natural-sounding conversational style
Our website is customisable to a way that works for you. Recite Me supports people who are dyslexic, visually impaired or have a learning disability to change the way our website looks, so you can experience it the way it is intended.
Key features include:
- Text size and colour
- Website background colour
- Text font type, including Open-Dyslexic
- Text only option, where all styling is removed. This leaves text only for your viewing, much like a document.
Reading content online can be a challenge for some people. To simplify and support you to read our content, Recite Me provides four tools.
- Ruler - to read line by line with no distractions of what is below
- Reading mask - to mask away 90% of our website, leaving only the information you want to concentrate on
- Magnifier - to zoom in to sections of the text making reading more clearly easier
- Margins - when in text only mode, you can use the margin feature to position content in the best place for you.
One in 10 people don't speak English as their first language in the UK.
By using Recite Me, you can quickly and easily translate all our website content into over 100 languages, including 35 text to speech voices. The translation function changes everything you see on our website.