Made By Katie Green is calling all dance artists interested in working on an exciting new project, funded by Arts Council England, beginning in November.
From 2018-2021, Made by Katie Green will be working with 19 heritage sites, schools and community centres across three Hubs in the South West and Midlands to develop the newImagination Museum: Mayflower 400 project. This project will use the Imagination Museum model that has already been developed, as well as responding to the 400th anniversary of the Mayflower’s famous journey from the UK to the New World, to engage audiences new to dance and/or heritage. The Imagination Museum: Mayflower 400 project is being supported using public funding by the National Lottery through Arts Council England.
The project's three Hubs are Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire (lead partners - Pilgrim Roots Regional Partnership/Transported), Hampshire (lead partners - Hampshire Cultural Trust/The Point) and Plymouth (lead partners – The Box/Plymouth Dance). The company is planning 14-18 ‘Community Encounters’ in each Hub over a 12 month period, starting in Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire in November 2018. Each Encounter will include a performance and an interactive element (which may be a workshop, talk or artefact-handling session). At the end of the collaboration with each Hub, there will be a series of 2-3 days of Final Performances, which will integrate performances from community groups working alongside the professional company.
Who are they looking for?
All of the following is subject to change as the final details of the programme of activity are confirmed.
The company want to recruit 2 local dance artists as Dance Engagement Practitioners (DEPs) in each of the three Hubs, whose main responsibilities will be:
- To work with the Company Director (Katie Green) and Core Cast of The Imagination Museum delivering The Imagination Museum: Mayflower 400 project in each area
- Specifically, supporting delivery of:
- Community Encounters at partner sites
- Final Celebration Performances integrating work from local community groups
- Leading delivery of rehearsals/meetings with local community groups taking place between the Community Encounters (5 days or equivalent per DEP)
- Attending/contributing to an ‘Imagination Museum consortium’ day (bringing together a group of artists/arts organisations and heritage practitioners/venues interested in creative collaboration) in their local Hub, and a final project symposium (venue tbc) taking place early in 2021
Subject to interest, ability and experience, DEPs will have the opportunity to participate in The Imagination Museum: Mayflower 400 as performers and/or workshop leaders/co-leaders. This means DEPs would need to bring a range of skills to the project, including:
- strong technique, including skills working in contact
- experience working with text in performance
- experience working with younger/family audiences
- the capacity to adapt material quickly to new environments, working site-responsively
- skills facilitating workshops for a range of participants with a motivational approach
- a friendly, proactive attitude and excellent communication skills, including the capacity to work with individuals who do not have experience engaging with dance
Please contact Katie at firstname.lastname@example.org supplying:
- a copy of your recent CV
- an expression of interest (maximum 1 side of A4) explaining why the opportunity would be of interest to you (bearing in mind the information above) and the skills and experience you think you would bring to the role
- a link to a video showreel of your work, which can include performance and workshop footage. Please note that this showreel does not have to be filmed professionally (e.g. a video of you improvising in a studio or specific site would be acceptable) and you must identify yourself clearly within the group if you send footage of a group work. Please send a YouTube or Vimeo link or a link to another website where your video can be clearly seen – do not send Dropbox links, file downloads or email attachments.
Please mark your email application clearly with the region for which you wish to be considered.
To find out the full terms and more about the project please visit: madebykatiegreen.co.uk.